Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Filthie Gets Gas

Well the Reclusium is looking worse than ever now. Tools everywhere, junk hither n’ yon, and airplanes everywhere. It’s been a good summer: I got the Turd Bird in the air, and as it turns out… I am the only guy at CFB Stubfart with a stick built plane from plans. Everyone flies quick build ARF kits nowadays. My ugly plane is doing hard aerobatics now and it’s twitchy to fly… you really have to be on the sticks with it. The old fellas are pleased as punch to see it fly too… for them it reminds them of good times long ago when they were young builders too.

Today though, the vast majority of plane kits are ARF’s (Almost Ready to Fly). If you know what you’re doing you can put them together in a couple hours. If ya don’t it might take a couple days. If you’re a hare-lipped retard…your mileage may vary…



Look at where the NiCad battery is!!!

This thing was built either by a Ukranian or a fuggin fwenchman!
πŸ˜–

Good grief! Flaps, gear retracts, dual elevator servos… whatta mess!

I’m tearing into the Hawker Sea Fury now. I bought this one on impulse 7 or 8 years ago, fully assembled by someone else - for $300.00, never flown. I was told it had a new .61 Thunder Tiger in it but I never got round to flying it. I hung it up on the wall, preferring to fly my slower plains.

Today Flapz and I took it down and took it apart to start going through it. I can’t believe it - but I think the electrical on this bird was done by someone even MORE incompetent than I am! HAR HAR HAR HAR!!!

πŸ˜‚πŸ‘



I wonder if the original builder even tried to balance this thing? The engine turned out to be a Magnum XL .91. My original plan was to pull off the engine and replace it with a 20cc gasser. But… the plan now is to run the engine (it’s brand new, never run)… and I think I’ll convert the Turd Bird to gas. Two cycle gassers are cleaner and cheaper to run than glow engines, but more complex. 

So, when the mercury drops and the blizzards begin… I will drag out the space heaters and huddle in the basement Reclusium and ready my planes for next summer. Engines will be swapped out, wiring will be ripped out and re-run, and hopefully this spring the Fury will be ready for the air.




Apparently they’re making GOOD 2 cycle gas engines in the 10cc size? We will find out! I may lose a little power but since I have it to spare I should be alright. 

We’ll see what happens I guess.

Cheers!


Filthie

No comments:

Post a Comment