Thursday, February 1, 2024

When We Were Kings



 I didn’t even know they made these things when I first got into guns all those years ago. Up here in Canada we seldom saw them. Or maybe I just didn’t notice them amidst the flashier guns? I dunno what it was - I’ve never been a big Winchester fan but I might have liked this one, given the chance…


Around here, when I was a kid… if you wanted a lever gun you basically had the Winchester 94 in .30-30… or these guys … 



That was going to be my first serious centrefire gun but…life intervened, girl friends were very expensive and I ended up starting my journey with a pristine Lee-Enfield war surp. That gun would cost easily $1200.00 today and maybe more… the prices on those things just keeps going straight up. I don’t think they make the savage lever guns anymore.

The world moves on.

2 comments:

  1. M95 Winchesters are very nice and very expensive. The M99 Savage I've always lusted for. My father in law gave me his about 15 years ago, a featherweight model. It's been carried a lot, shot a little, it will never be trading stock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 99 was way before its time. Arthur Savage was a genius. The Savage is about two pounds heavier than the Marlin and about 2 and a half pounds heavier than the Winchester 94. But the cartridges for the 99 are more modern and take game further away cleanly.

    A person with a 99 really has no disadvantages, despite the design being over 100 years old. Great rifle.

    ReplyDelete