Saturday, May 4, 2024

Saturday Stinkers

 



100 years ago I was a voracious reader. My idea of the perfect Saturday morn was going out grocery shopping first thing with the wife. Then we’d go to the mall, and I’d go into the bookstore and she’d go do what she did.

One of my last forays into the bookstore was on just such a perfect Saturday morn. I figured I had the ‘new publishing industry’ figured out: 

  • if a book was written by a woman - don’t buy it. It will be about menstrual feminism and vagina vengeance, written by a man-hating harridan
  • If there was a dragon on the cover it was going to be about faggots or lesbians, not dragons
  • Best to stick to historical fiction because it didn’t seem to attract queers and sexual degenerates.
So I spy this one that looked good - paperback SF yarn about Wiccans. I didn’t know what a Wiccan was at the time, but the blurb about the story sounded legit, it was written by a guy (you could still safely assume genders back then) and it had a Hugo award.

So I go about my Saturday after buying it. Stop by the folks for coffee, home for chores, walk Sled Dawg Sally…and I get home, settle in for a read. Got my sammiches and tea pot ready…and it was me-time. Aaaaaaaaaand….

I get half way through the first chapter and I learned what a Wiccan was. The story’s about a tribe of them after the collapse of civilization. The tribe is run by fat menopausal cat ladies and junior girl bosses… and the cast of lesser characters are gay, soys, cross dressers and miscellaneous cretins and goofs. I got up off that couch, and threw that POS in the garbage. $8.00 down the chitter!!!
🤬

I go to the computer and look up the author and it turns out it was ghost written by a big fat sloppy old lesbian. You may not always be able to judge a book by its cover…but you can pretty much understand it if you know who the author is. The next trip was even worse. I was throwing away money; it was like the entire publishing industry went nuts. Even formerly ‘safe’ authors were starting to litter their novels with pervs, DEI’s and Powerful Women. I stopped buying books.

Awhile back I watched a spectacular documentary about WW2. It was very sparsely narrated, but it was in full colour and had lots of obscure footage I had never seen before. Most of it was candid - men, women, and children fighting to survive in war-ravaged Europe. They were serious people, too. Kids that hadn’t eaten in days, and adults who hadn’t eaten in weeks. Soldiers that wished they were anywhere else. They shot their enemies without remorse, they stood with their own to the point of death. But what really shocked me - was the complete absence of clowns.

There were no morbidly obese lesbians to be seen giving orders to subordinate soys. No prancing faggots, no purple faced rage headed women… None of the denizens of Clown World were anywhere to be seen. Yet they were everywhere during the Weimar Republic in Germany. When the SHTF…  there’s no time or room for eccentric, neurotic, or erratic people, I guess. I suppose there’s something good in everything… so if or when the SHTF, or it’s TEOTWAWKI or a financial collapse… all these people will go away… and Darwin and Murphy will have their day.  

I’m sitting here at Camp Le Filthie…and I really miss having a book to read. I think I may just make it my business to find a non-woke novel for my next trip. 

Cheers,

Filthie

32 comments:

  1. I quit buying books a long time ago. Project Gutenberg has more free e-books than I will ever read. Old books, written back when the world made sense. Here, for example, is "The Journal of Negro History" in seven volumes:
    https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/bookshelf/285
    Now where else are you gonna find that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks for that A… and thanks for checking in, too!
      😊👍 I will check that link out!

      Delete
  2. I find used books for very little $$ on alibris dot com or thrift books and buy books that are recommended by bloggers and historians or friends. I recently picked up three different books on the Boer War in decent condition for under $20, hardcover with jackets still intact.
    Reading is good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is, DMM. truth is, wa back when, I’d rather read the story than see it in a movie.

      Delete
  3. Stay away from books that won the Hugo. Look up "hugo award sad puppies" (not about canines)
    Steve S6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll second that.

      Most publishers won't bother looking at your work unless you have an agent, or are claiming to be a bottom rung of the ladder, never represented, always discriminated against, minority. Mind you, your manuscript's first stop on the publishing gauntlet involves a female eastern university graduate who has never been more than fifty yards from a flush toilet in her entire life.

      Haunt the used book stores and garage sales. There's still a lot out there. Meantime, I'll shoot an email to that fat, lazy, semi-literate Bacchanalian, WL Emery, and have him make the keyboard smoke. Maybe that will keep you both quiet for a while.



      Delete
    2. Yeah… I saw that whole “puppies” thing a couple years later. And all I can say to the publishing companies whining about diving sales is… “give my disregards to Bud Light when you see them”.

      And yeah, WL Emery needs a whip on his arse! The fans are getting impatient! 😉

      Delete
  4. Ya shoulda used the book as an reactive target instead!

    Chutes Magoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our range actually has explicit rules about shooting garbage on the range, Chutes! They want nothing to do with that crap either… albeit for much different reasons. 😉

      Delete
  5. Yard sales, garage sales, flea markets, swap meets are where you get good, cheap books...at least here in middle Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that is probably the way forward, methinks…

      Delete
    2. used to be that way back in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Now? It's been a few years but the wife and I hit maybe 10-15 yard sales and zero books. I don't know if it's cause people don't read anymore or if it's all just e-books these days. The old books still gotta be around somewhere, unless they're all in the dump. IDK. But yeah, haven't seen books in a yard sale in forever.

      Delete
  6. Wiccans -hawk, spit. There was this blonde smoke-show when I was growing up, Fiona Horne, who was in a forgettable band. Then she started getting topless and MEGA attention. Suddenly became a “wiccan” and got her superb rack out at every opportunity. And the GrrrrlPower BS surrounding her was insane- for about 6 months. Man, the photos of that tart in her birthday suit are unforgettable, and worth googling to this day. But the wall is undefeated and to see this shell of a woman today is truly sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy mackerel! You ain’t kidding, that gal could stop your heart!!! But… I see the hint of crazy in that gal…especially in the eyes. “Crazy eyes” are a thing with women but not always. There are some otherwise fine women that are sane with crazy eyes… a fella has to be observant when it comes to beautiful women…

      Delete
  7. I'm reading a book now called 'The Iron Triangle'. Written by Douglas L. Edwards. Guy did two tours in Nam. Good read, so far.

    Some more helpful suggestions for you:

    'The Wrath of the Wendigo' by Clay Martin

    'The Attack' by Kurt Schlichter (then go read the rest of his Kelly Turnbull series)

    'Enemies Foreign and Domestic' by Matt Bracken (or really any of Bracken's books, really).

    If you're looking for good reads, it helps to not to fish outside your own pond....meaning, avoid Chapters/Indigo like the clap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “About face” by David Hackworth was / is one of my favourite war books of all times. He talks very clearly about the perfumed princes in the upper ranks - pretty similar to what I’ve seen in leadership throughout the civilian world too.

      Delete
    2. I will check them out, JL! I really gotta get off my arse and check Matt out too.👍

      Delete
  8. Well it's good to see JL ain't tits up.

    But to my comment.
    I just re-read King Rat. Thinking of fighting for the favor of being given an egg to eat. gives me things to think about.

    Just prior to that I read a bunch about famines and the Irish Troubles. There are things that make you ponder. Interesting times indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I don’t get it. British stuff is hit or miss with me… mostly “miss”. But their good stuff is nothing short of spectacular. The Kippers have been in steep cultural decline for a long, long time…

      Delete
  9. David Drake - Hammers Slammers. Great Military SF like Jerry Pournelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m pretty sure I did Hammers Slammers ages ago. I really liked the Bolo series of books too..

      Delete
  10. I don’t read British crime. Also any women authors. British war autobiographical history is good. Too annoying to keep trying.

    Also many of my favorite authors get “woke”. And throw their significant others politics in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That shit started with Agatha Fuggin Christie! JFC…an old retarded bint, writing about stone cold killers?!? And literary critics and hobknobbers today STILL sing her praises…

      That goof was one of the authors responsible for my “don’t read books written by women” rule.

      Delete
    2. Give the books by JD Kirk a go. As a sample , https://jdkirk.com/the-bob-hoon-insult-generator/

      Delete
  11. Funny you should post this now. I'm currently re-reading "Men On Strike" by Dr. Helen Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to read a book a week, maybe more, as a teen and into my 20's. Now? It takes months to finish one, sometimes I gotta go back and re-read entire chapters cause I forget where I'm at in the book. I think all the free time I used to have for reading is now consumed by internet browsing and u-tube watching instead. Can't really say that's an improvement, but it is what it is. I recently got some space opera sci-fi series going, The Wolfhounds, seems to be pretty good if borderline YA fiction. Still, plenty of action, fun, no woke bullshit. John Van Stry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A few recommendations findable on the cheap at the usual used book outlets.

    Fiction: anything by Stephen Becker, who led an interesting life and wrote mostly historical fiction on a variety of subjects, especially When the War is Over (Civil War), The Chinese Bandit (China post-WWII), The Blue Eyed Shan (Burma and Peking Man, post-WWII) and A Covenant with Death (back-to-back murder trials in the American Southwest circa 1920's).

    You won't find much by Richard McKenna because he died way too soon but what there is, is gold. A bunch of short stories and his masterpiece novel The Sand Pebbles, made into the film starring Steve McQueen, that McKenna unfortunately did not live long enough to see released.

    Viet Nam: Anything by Bernard Fall and/or A Bright Shining Lie by Neil Sheehan (John Paul Vann and the failure of American policy), The Cat From Hue by John Laurence (war reporting by one of the best and in part, the battle for Hue City) and Sand in the Wind by Robert Roth, if you can find it (fiction, Jarheads and the battle for Hue City).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, Fithian. Now you've made me curious. Can you at least name the author of that Wiccan book?
    I am always up for Dystopian Sci Fi. If you want some old fashioned slam bang violence, hunt up the Mack Bolan novels from the 1970s. About fighting the Mafia. The Penetrator book were good too. And Clive Cussler is great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Try 'Sympathy for the Devil' by Kent Anderson and the subsequent Hanson police books.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anything by Raconteur Press. Some of the things by the gang at the Mad Genius Club blog (Cedar Sanderson, Dorothy Grant, and Alma Boykin may be women, but they're really good writers of Sci-Fi and Fantasy). Mountaindale Press (somewhat silly fantasy). Kelly Grayson. Glen Cook (his Garrett P.I. and Black Company series are tremendous). Many of the titles at Baen Books are still worth a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And let us not forget Peter Grant, J.L. Curtis, and Larry Correia.

      Delete
  17. These days I find Louis L'Amour to be the author I trust to tell a good tale. Also, see his autobiography, The Education of a Wondering Man. He lived a truly interesting life.

    I also recommend The Good, the Bad, and the Forgiven
    by Tim the Idahoan. It tells the tale of a gun slinging preacher.

    ReplyDelete