Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Humpday Ramble



 Well I took Mom to see Pop yesterday. He’s in a home, he’s in a wheelchair now…and he’s going downhill fast. I dunno if he recognized me or not, but he got hold of my hand and wouldn’t let go. Sometimes he can speak, other times… who knows. They had all the old folks in the foyer in a big circle just sitting there… and they were all happy. I don’t get it. I had three old ladies talking to me at once and not caring if I could hear or respond to them. One sat on the other side of Pop holding his hand like she owned him and he didn’t mind that either. He likes contact. Mom sets him right off for some reason. When he is coherent he’s convinced something is wrong with his wheelchair. He steals knives and forks from the cafeteria and tries to use them to take the chair apart…I held up like a champ but only got an hour with dad as mom wanted to go home. She wept a lot but I got her talking about silly old TV shows and that cheered her up a bit. When I got home in this afternoon I almost cracked a scotch…but went down in the Reclusium to do chores instead. 

I got a text from Pete The Meat while I was reloading some .243…we are right out of large rifle primers in Alberta and the few places that have them are putting people on lists because they sell out so fast. Pete knows I have a stash and wants me to sell him a thousand… but I am low too. I’m down to 3500 and I figure that’s enough for me…but it’s not enough to sell. I stocked right up back during the Obutthole Administration when the black baboon started talking about gun grabbing. Our market seems to lag the American market on reloading supplies so I started stocking up. Back then a thousand primers were about $35.00/1000…and I thought it was highway robbery; now they’re up over a hundred bucks a thousand…for off brands like RWS and other obscure companies. All mine are CCI or Federal. I told Pete I’d give him 100 for free but I won’t part with 1000. I’ve lots of pistol and small rifle primers but I am not going to sell them either. People laughed at me back then when I was stocking up like mad…but they aren’t laughing now. They get peeved when I won’t sell to them either. If the SHTF that is going to be the way of it: preppers are going to be seen (and portrayed) as greedy, selfish people that don’t care at all about those that didn’t prep at all. They will pose as victims too! The preppers are going to become targets if things get bad. I told Pete that he is going to have to stock up as I did and he can’t rely on me to supply him. Back when I had 10 or 12 thousand? No problem… but now…my stocks went down over the years. I hope I have enough supplies to carry me into retirement when I get too old to shoot. It’s going to be close.



Buy your powder in 8 lb lots too. Keep a couple on hand at all times.
Maybe I should put some of that in my pipe…?

Hannah Banana is turning into a magnificent little dog. She has to heel sometimes now and she doesn’t like it…but she can do it if she tries. I coddle her too much so that slows the training down too. We went out and she barely fits into Mort’s old coat. She doesn’t like that either but she tolerates it in the cold weather. I keep finding dog booties on our walks and I leave them on the rail of Macey’s Bridge by Dawg Island. I had about a half dozen there and it became an unofficial lost and found…but now there’s none there at all so I guess the owners found them and took them home or the County guys threw them in the garbage. I don’t think Hannah needs boots. But she’s starting to do the ol’ bum scoot/tail dragger thing and I think she might have an ear infection too. I will drag her down to the vet and get her checked out.

I’m going to start my tobacco seedlings today and hopefully I get a crop this year! I smoke only outside and since I’m out there, I start shoveling snow and I do my neighbours on both sides too. The clippers two doors down supply sushi to the local grocery stores so they gave me a couple containers by way of saying thanks. It’s nice to be appreciated. Gawd I am sick of winter this year even though it has been so warm. We should be getting some warmer weather soon and I sorely need some range time. I’m probly going to get the camper out early this year too.

It drives me nuts to see the bloody yanks turning green and talking about gardens though. 

It makes me jealous. 😂👍

7 comments:

  1. When the soft serve hits the blower, anyone thinking my stuff is somehow theirs is gonna regert the day they were born!

    Chutes Magoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know about the three old ladies setting at the rest home talking about the old days and how much better things were. The one holds up her hands to demonstrate and says, "I remember when cucumbers were this big!" The other one joins in, "Well I remember that tomatoes were huge, like this!" And she cups her hands to demonstrate. The third old lady was setting quietly but with that she perked up, "I can't hear a word you are saying but I know just who you are talking about!!!!"
    This joke has ruined me for visiting rest homes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When 44 was in office and the shortages ramped up I started doing the 8 pound keg thing and buying 2 at a time when I could. I also went to a general powder for rifles (4350 mid bore), (BLC-2 for .308/.223) and Herco for the handguns.

    I've gotten to the point when I see what I need, I buy it. Too many times in the past I thought I would find a better deal. Not anymore. Much better to have it than need it.

    FWIW, it you are just spewing text then dump some on Gab. People over there miss you and no Pic's are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Green? Garden? Smoke a pipe outside? Where is this mythical land of which you speak? Woke to a balmy -35 just 5 days ago….

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They will be first to rat you out to goons.

    ReplyDelete