Saturday, October 26, 2024


When I was a kid the first metal bats were just coming in. The bigger kids had them. Big Bro could take the skin off the ball and send what was left outta the park back in the day. Poor Dad… Big Bro and I got into a barn burner fight over his old ball mitt. But he didn’t want his kids playing with his old worn out junk and he broke the bank on new gloves for both of us. I got a top of the line Wilson black diamond glove, brand new…and hated it! It was stiff as a board, too big … and my ball career was over before it started! 
😂👍

I did get a great skateboard when I was a kid with those new elastomer wheels. My bike had the banana seat and no gears… it surprises me to think I got my first real bike in my 20’s. I rebuilt an old CCM junker by replacing everything but the frame. Gawd, that was a great bike. I could burn up 50 miles on a warm summer evening like it was nothing. 110 psi racing slicks, triathalon bars, Deore derailleurs… that thing would move on willpower alone, and a tailwind made pedalling an option. 

I was a king, and didn’t even know it! 😂 I wonder how the kids look back on their youth? Do they feel the disconnection from the times that many of us older stubfarts do? Do they miss the trappings and fixtures of their younger days? They must on some level…but I don’t think their nostalgia is the same as ours…



I no longer run against the wind.

On some level I miss it deeply… but there’s a lot to be said
for contentment.
There are a lot of people that never achieve it.


5 comments:

  1. Except Cronkite was a lying POS; at least towards the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you mention road bikes - bought a second hand bike off FBmarket place a few months ago. LOVING EVERY SECOND ! Aluminium frame & forks, 25 mm tyres on 700C aluminium rims, RIM BRAKES, Shimano 105 components, just been serviced $350 AUD. Had to replace the bar tape (gee $50). Entry level bikes are now $3,000 AUD !!!! Hydraulic disc brakes, carbon frame & forks, digital gear shifting, integrated cabling - 28 - 31mm tubeless tyres and hookless rims. If your $3,000 bike falls over there’s a good chance of cracking the frame - no warranty. Every fitting has to be tightened with a tension wrench. FOR AN ENTRY LEVEL BICYCLE. The look on some 20-somethings face as this mid-50’s fat stubfart in Lycra streaks past they/them = PRICELESS !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their trappings and fixtures? Nobody is going to pull an iPhone 5 out of a garage and rebuild it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep.
    "Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"

    ReplyDelete
  5. We didn't get McD's, only Burger King and Dairy Treat, and Dairy Treat was way better. Didn't have street lights on our block, you just went home when it got dark, then snuck out again later. Granny worked at Sears, so that was our mall. 10% employee discount on clothes and me and my brothers would run back and forth from the toy section to the sporting goods aisle. Kids today got no clue and it shows.

    ReplyDelete