Sunday, August 25, 2024

In Keeping With Today’s Theme Of Yesteryear…

 



Years ago, back when I was still essential…my plans were to spend my retirement building a real Aircamper or maybe a Flybaby. Unfortunately I was obsoleted before I was ready, and the Aircamper or Flybaby… will never come to pass. You can still buy the plans, and people still build them with a variety of engines. The classic Aircamper engines are the four banger Model T engine (Ford still makes them) and the boxers out of the 1960’s Corvair. Today the donor engines are small, bullet proof Lycomings and Continentals. One stubfart I saw poured his heart and soul into his build with a Subie engine and the best wood money could buy. The final fabric and paint job were exquisite. The ones built by stubfarts are often works of art and love… and you can pick them up for pennies on the dollar on Barnstormers. The reason is that nobody flies anymore, hangar fees are insane, and we are not the people our ancestors were.

So it goes for the modellers too. A couple years back one of the old boys at Stubfart Airfield passed away, and the poor family had no room or time for all the planes he built. His small two bedroom apartment was filled with planes and airframes in various states of completion, plans, tools… it’s what he did to entertain himself in his retirement. The family gave the club all his stuff - and it all ended up in our clubhouse - a lavishly appointed sea-can out at the field. Technically they were for sale but Scotty The Retard grabbed a bunch of the planes but nobody bitched. Most of us build our own and they just cluttered up the clubhouse. I suppose I shoulda taken something but…it just felt wrong

Today the kids fly F16s and 747s on flight simulators and wage grim or hilarious dogfights on the internet… and laugh at our messy, smelly engines and fragile balsa models. They’ve no time for frumpy, temperamental engines and ludicrously simple electronics and the relics that fly them. It’s all stuff from a world that’s long gone and they have no interest in. Who can blame them? The world moves on, and we get left behind with the trappings of our time. 

We will be long gone by the time they realize their folly of letting us go, just as we ourselves did - by then, their world will be as obsolete as ours and they will find themselves obsoleted too. I have no problem with it - I am ready to go today, if I should be called home… but there are small ways to hold onto a world that’s long gone…and I intend to make the most of them. It’s a struggle, isn’t it? You spend most of your youth trying to hold the little ones close…and then you have to let them go all too soon. But - so be it!

This winter’s build looks like it might be the old Speedy Bee. You can download the plans for free here. The wing construction is simply inspired. Elegant, light, and super strong for its intended purpose. Perhaps  one day some kid might get one of my planes, and smile to think of the old fart that built it? And actually want to fly it?

☺️👍





6 comments:

  1. When I was wrenching at big airplane co., the young guys would come for advice. That was fine. I always shared my perspective. Some people were tight-lipped about what knowledge they had. It seemed so chickenshit. After awhile, it came to the reality that we all become irrelevant. That was the most painful part of growing old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years back i found out my insurance company charges triple if you have a private pilots license

    Exile1981

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait... Ford still makes model T engines??
    How do I get one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to think my kids would enjoy all the various odds and ends of my hobby crap in the garage, but reality is some third party auction service will probably sell it all for pennies on the dollar and they'll waste the money on streaming services and video games. At least I made sure my kids knew their way around a tool box and could perform basic maintenance on the cars, although working knowledge of a gas powered car may be govt obsoleted in the near future too.

    And yeah, they still make model T engines? Shee-it, I can think of 4 or 5 new projects right off the top of my head. Dang, why'd you have to go and mention that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a great freind/mentor, WWII vet that owned a large manufacturing plant that was on municipal airport property. He said on Sundays people were lining up to gas their personal airplanes. Was a social event for people to joy-fly. Not anymore. Not many people interested in flying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must be getting old and soggy, a moving post today.
    Some folks are gonna score valuable stool (good shit) at my estate, yard, garage sale.

    ReplyDelete