Friday, July 12, 2024

Inheritance

The Boomers!!! They’re spending our inheritance!!!

I shouldn’t laugh. Awhile ago my father passed and his personal effects were gone with the breeze. I was peeved right off about it and so damned sore that I had to give myself a time out to unpack the mental baggage and resentment the episode opened up.

It wasn’t my stuff. I had no claim on it, my family doesn’t owe me a thing, which is good because I don’t need anything from them. 

It’s all just stuff. Mostly junk, some of it had sentimental value and that is a bunch hooey too. Dad is GONE. His personal effects and valuables won’t bring him back, or allow me to hang on to some small piece of his shade. Pop’s soul went back to its Maker, his heart went with the winds…his things should probably do the same. A little while later mom might have been feeling guilty and gave me $25,000 from his insurance policy. The cheque sat on my kitchen table for a week while I debated what to do with it. I had to force myself to get up, take it down to the bank and deposit it. All the money is still there. If something happens to mom, or someone gets their nose out of joint and wants it… otherwise it’s there and it’s not going to go anywhere soon. I’m not going to fight about money with any of those people. 

The problem I have as an irredeemably wicked Boomer is my kid. I shed real blood, sweat and tears to set money aside for her. It wasn’t enough, it never would be enough. She’d need a car, help with her education, a down payment on a house…I didn’t have it all…but I had a damned good start. Then my daughter discovered she was gay, her mother was an uncaring bitch, and I was an abusive ogre…and she disowned us and ran away to join the circus. Not kidding either, I haven’t heard a word from her in 10 years now. In hindsight, we could have used that money to get a nicer house, or a big RV, or a rec property… bah. Looking back… we probably should have done those things. But since me and my money were no good to her…I retired early. I am frugal by nature and still have most of it. Unless something awful happens…I should be alright. I’ve prepped and saved and worked to get here but nothing is guaranteed. God, Darwin and Murphy can take me out at any point, I have no control over anything. 

I dunno what to say to kids like Vox Day and his fellow cellar dwelling incels and comic book geeks. I never wanted any of this for the kids. If I had my way, I’d be bouncing a grandchild on my knee, my daughter would be living in a well appointed home, and maybe be affluent enough for a few of the nicer things that make life worth living. She’d have real, long term goals (and good ones) to slowly work towards. It wouldn’t even cross her mind to want to kill her parents and take their shit, if I had my way. She’d be too busy building her own future and prosperity for her kids. But…whatever. I control nothing. Like many of her generation, her life will not be about building a future, but coping with past bad life decisions. There’s nothing I can do for her and I’m done beating myself up over it.

There’s a lot of evil that swirls around inheritance and it can bring the absolute worst out in people. I can feel it stirring in my own heart and it’s all I can do not to get sucked into it and the rivalries and jealousies that wake up. It takes a force of will to see that I will not get a penny more or a penny less than what my Maker decides. Being thankful rather than being selfish takes work too. Sometimes I’m just not up to it either. Hell’s bells, my glorious day dream is offing my mom with a baseball bat wrapped in barbwire…HAR HAR HAR!!! HAR HAR HAR!!! The only thing stopping me (besides JL and his pesky red coats) - is the fact that my kid wants to off me with a wood chipper!!! HAR HAR HAR!!! 

😂👍

GAH! It’s Friday, the sun is shining, and it’s not the day for dreary thoughts. It’s time to go outside and play.

30 comments:

  1. I could have written that verbatim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inheritance gets me really spooled up. I had an uncle with millions of dollars to his estate leave absolutely everything to a trust to administer a website of his that was receiving less than 100 unique visits a year. The same uncle had called me in from out of state to visit him in his final weeks before death. I went to be with him and didn't even see a shiny nickel for my troubles.

    There's part of me that tends to be very bitter that I have never received much help in this world financially. The most I ever received from any family or friend was a used pickup truck, a lawn mower, and a set of wrenches. The lawn mower and wrenches were stolen. And the truck had engine problems. Story of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It felt a little funny reading that. Some of it would cut and paste right into my story. Kinda sucks knowing the sacrifices made in order to be the best husband, father, provider a guy could be just to see it all go completely unacknowledged and not appreciated, and add to it that part where
    You are responsible for the mistakes I made, because you didn't stop me.. Aaand, she's with a woman.
    Yeah..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made lots of mistakes, J. The worst was living in an extended family with progressive shitlibs. My wife’s parents meddled in our affairs and…I should have done something about that. Shoulda, coulda, woulda… I’ve played that game too mch too…

      Delete
    2. My wife’s parents meddled in our affairs and…I should have done something about that - oh boy, me too on the should have done something about that. Just didn't know how to handle it.

      Delete
    3. Your wives should have done something about that just as I did when my parents tried to meddle in our affairs. A married couple must present a united front.

      Delete
  4. The Boomers are spending their own money. It doesn't become inheritance until the correct time. Best be nice to the boomers because they own a lot of it and may be ready to sell it for what they paid if your nice...

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you haven't read Jim Goad's reply to this bullshit it's worth a read. (https://www.takimag.com/article/the-day-of-the-pillow/) Btw, the thing that calls itself "vox day" is, imho, a whiny, snivelling shit and should be ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 20 years ago the brother in law died. Every weirdo came out of the woodworker looking for money. He was a college guy with a ton of debt but everyone figured he had money because he spend tons. His father who had run out on his mom when he was 2, read an article about his death and even though 'dad' had run off 25 years before and never called once or helped raise him he figured the BIL owed him inheritance for being there for the conception

    Couple of the BIL's ex girlfriends cane looking for money as well. Bunch of vultures and thieves. Heck even his then current girlfriends parents cane looking for money. They claimed he had promised to take care of their daughter which they tried was a legally binding contract to financially support her.

    That was a mess

    Exile1981

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup… it’s sad. I’d be ashamed to act like that.

      Delete
  7. I've been lucky enough to avoid most of that. I was adopted, the folks actually wanted me and acted like it.
    I'm not worried about God, it's the Satanic machine that bothers me, then down the list away's are Darwin and Murphy.
    For the family/emotional shyte ye been through, you're surprisingly well adjusted. Though, being well adjusted to an insane world, social, family, dystopian reality, might not be such a desirable goal.
    Since the Covidiocy Event, I swear I can see I.Q. points evaporating from the general population and "leadership".
    Hang in there Glen, the royal "we" appreciate you're being our smart, humorous, entertaining, educational "every-man", butt hay (but hey) no pressure.
    Disclaimer: This was likely written under the influence of an evaporating I.Q. or maybe an adult beverage...or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the resident expert on the adjusted around here Tree Mike, that is in discussion as we speak. He is coping well, and has come to terms, well is going to take a little more time...

      Delete
    2. Pound one back for me, Mike!

      Put it on Cederq’s tab…🥴👍

      Delete
  8. What your daughter did as an adult is not your responsibility, nor is it your fault. You and your wife did the best you could, and that's all anyone can ask of you. My advice? Stop beating yourself up. I don't take any credit for originality here, as this is the same thing someone told me under similar circumstances.

    For my part, my brother (Shotgun Bob) and I told my parents to go ahead and spend it. It was theirs, and it isn't like they were taking any of it away from us. So they spent a good size chunk of the family inheritance and enjoyed it. We inherited plenty after they passed away, and although I missed my father for about two weeks, I got over his death immediately. So did my dear old mother, which was good.

    That leaves me where I am with a fairly comfortable life, which I enjoy. So - enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that’s the idea Jack. And that’s the hell of inheritance…you start thinking people and the world owe you, and you start nickel and dimeing your loved ones, they do it too you and soon nobody’s happy. I have to concentrate on my path in life, and - knock on wood… God willing, money is not going to be an issue for me if I live right.

      Delete
  9. Yup, I read that screed from Vox Pox. He has been beating that dead, desiccated idea of boomers owing their offspring a sizable inheritance. When my folks died, we each three kids received a small one spilt 6 ways. My parents didn't receive a small or large inheritance and they didn't complain because they knew their folks were living hand to mouth on small SS and pensions and had lived through the depression which transferred an astonishing amount of wealth the the elites and robber barons of the day. Next coming up is even a worse depression and a much larger transfer of wealth. Buckle your seat belts on your couch, the popcorn ain't gonna fly... Oh, and fuck vox pox of the day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vox is a product of his times. I really feel for him because although I’m a tail end boomer, I got the same ride Gen X did. I had certain advantages though, that a lot of people don’t. I learned my financial habits from my depression era grandmother. My wife is a rock that supports me in everything I do. We talk about everything, and think much alike.
      If I had to give young people advice on the path to happiness, the first step would have to be finding a good woman - and maintaining a solid (and, if possible, respectful) distance from the bad ones in the family.

      Delete
  10. Inheritance brings out a persons true colors. They may be different than previous experience they may not. I would give all mine back to have had Dad around longer

    ReplyDelete
  11. The primary duty of a parent is to prepare their kids to survive and thrive in the world when they come of age. Fuck inheritance - that's just a handout. It's a dog eat dog world and the best thing a parent, boomer or no, can do is teach their kids this lesson and teach them how to adapt and take advantage of their circumstances to accumulate their own wealth. If a parent fails to do this, only THEN do they deserve scorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. It’s more important to be self sufficient with no expectations. That way there’s no disappointments. Most disputes and inheritance squabbles are just plain greed and that’s it.

      Delete
  12. A mate of mine lost his parents a few months apart. His take-away quote; “where there’s a will, there’s an in-law”. His sisters apparently behaved poorly, but allegedly his brothers-in-law were the worst (according to him).

    I see the framework of something similar coming my way as my parents are elderly boomers that fall all over themselves about my sister & her two daughters (who live over 1000km away), and do absolutely nothing to help them. The grand children mean EVERYTHING to them and I’m almost certain to lose my inheritance to them & my “always the victim” sister, because they’ll “never get a start in the property market otherwise.”

    It’s really freaking HARD not to be destroyed by this behaviour, especially when shenanigans like asking me to be executor of their will etc. (That means I cannot contest it if I am a beneficiary).

    I expected better from my father - he was an only child and was terrified his mother would leave everything to her favourite niece rather than to her only child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, A. It can drive you nuts. But it became painfully apparent in life that there is no such thing as justice or getting a fair shake out of people. Half of them would shoot you in the back just for the fun of it. For me there is only my path, and the only person I answer to is my Maker. Anything I get comes from Him, and the assholes in my life at this point are just mere distractions.

      Delete
  13. So yeah, it’s a really horrible journey. I’ve had to harden my heart, expect ABSOLUTELY NOTHING as my inheritance and come to terms with it. It’s so hard not to be bitter and angry, but as a man, no one gives a single eff, shit or damn about me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s exactly right. And a guy can accept it and deal with it or let it drive him crazy. There are other things in life to be worried about that are far more important.

      Delete
  14. If my wife had been able to bear children, EVERYTHING would be different, but no use getting bent out of shape over could, would or should. “If-Only” will eat you alive if you let it. Enough sooking, back to what’s important to ME.

    ReplyDelete

  15. Filthie I have been reading for many years.
    You say “ There’s nothing I can do for her and I’m done beating myself up over it.”

    It is time to really mean it.
    Forgive yourself - today RIGHT NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nailed it Glen and so many of us relate as we have been through that "living hell". Spiro

    ReplyDelete