Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Mouse Gun Mayhem Part 7.5

 Well today we’re playing with the little mouse gun again… the econo-rifle from Ruger. This time round, we’re playing with 55 gr. Hornady V-Max, sitting on various charges of H4895. Results were ho-hum and to be expected. The little carbine is spun 1-8” if I recall correctly - and shows a preference for heavier bullets. 

Nothing exotic or weird for this outing, except for maybe the brass. I was using Nosler match brass before but it was in the tumbler when I needed to load up this next batch… so I dug some PPU mil brass out of the garbage, deprimed and swaged the primer crimp out with a Dillon primer pocket tool. Near as I can tell the brass was South Korean and seemed to clean up real nice. Velocities were unspectacular… maybe a bit disappointing? I’d like to see 2700 - 2800 FPS out of the little carbine… but again…I think we can bark these loads up a bit more. No pressure signs at all… the groups seemed to tighten up a bit too as the velocities came up. The standard deviation came down as well…so I have some experimenting left to do…



I wiped the chrono before recording the actual figures on the third string
without recording it!
Dumbass!!! 
🤬🤬🤬

I *think* average velocity was around 2550 FPS for that string…



This one is about 2.5 - 3” as well.
I dunno if I threw the shot or it was a flier… the shot felt good…?
23.9 gr H4895… at 200m…





That one looks to be around 2.5 - 3”…?
I will have to measure it when I get home.
23.3 gr H4895, fired at 200m

Ya can’t expect miracles from a load like this. The Hornady V Max is a cheapo bullet, and humdrum  accuracy can probably be the best I’ll get out of a light bullet in this short rifle rifle… but if nothing else…it’ll be a fine plinker load. If I’m gonna get serious…I’m probably going to need a heavier pill. I still want to try a 40 gr bullet of a similar shape though. We will go lighter yet…another time…


Hannah is always happy to share a pipe
with you…



The Niglet’s first live-fire exercise was a stellar success. Hannah had to sit in the truck and behave during the shoot, so I parked the truck as far back from the firing line as I could, in the shade of the trees with the offside window rolled down for ventilation. She just went in the back of the crew cab and went to sleep without any whining or barking.  👍👍👍



So I guess the long n’ short of it is…  we got diddly squat done on the range. Now it’s time to get a small blaze going, kick back, and watch the sun go down on another wasted day! I forgot my booze at home but I don’t really miss it. Maybe next time I’ll remember to bring a flask.

Have a good night you guys.

Cheers!

Filthie

9 comments:

  1. This is some interesting action here, old man! Please commit more of the same! Wut kinda chrono you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an old Magnetospeed bayonet style chrono, Tex…would really like one of those Garmins…but maybe in the next life…

      Delete
  2. Silly amateur mistake. Booze is the FIRST thing you pack, then the dog food, then everything else. That'll ease the sting of the one time I forgot the booze and the dog food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sit too close to that fire and that croc will become permanent. They don't have boots up there in the great Northern unwashed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gone straight to hell in my old age Cederq. Back before I got old and nonessential I was ALWAYS in boots. Usually steel toes but but sometimes in bikers or light hikers… now I’m like that fag on The Big Labowski… shorts, tee shirt and sandals or Crocs! I’ll be running around in a bathrobe soon…

      Delete
    2. I was gonna cut him some slack about his foot condoms. Next time, he should throw away the shoes and wear the Wal-Mart bags they came in!

      Delete
  4. Those little holes in the crocs are where your dignity seeps out.........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crocs?... CROCS?... CROOOOOOCS?????

    ReplyDelete